Wednesday, April 1, 2009

G20

Today was the beginning of the G20 meetings taking place here in London. I'm not very involved in politics, but it is interesting to be living in a London home while this meeting is going on. The news has been covering it for awhile, and it has been enlightening to hear about the economic hardships and what is being done to solve the problems from the POV of a different society. Obama is seen through very hopeful eyes, and even if he doesn't live up to expectations the general consensus seems to be that at least he's not Bush. The loss of jobs and everything that is being seen in the US is also happening here, although it is referred to as the Credit Crunch. I'm really glad to be here in London during this time and to be seeing what's happening in a different way than I would if I was back in the states.


I had the opportunity to go see Parliament, West Minster Abbey, and Buckingham Palace today, and I spent my afternoon in the area. When I first headed out, I had forgotten about the meetings and the protesters. However, while I was there I didn't see protesters but I did see a lot of police. There were armed guards blocking the entrance to Parliament and more guards and a blockade around the Palace. Standing on the edge of the blockade, I was able to see the Mexican president leave Buckingham palace. I also saw a very quick, undramatic changing of the guards (from a distance the guards somewhat resembled bobble-head toys to me, their heads look huge with their hats). There were (and probably still are) a lot of people in the area watching the palace hoping to catch a glimpse of more politicians. I wasn't able to see a lot of the sites that I wanted to though, but the great thing about the program is that I'll have more time another day to go and explore more.

Gargoyale at Westminster Abbey


Guard walking back to the palace, also some of the police outside of Buckingham Palace


One thing that I recommend, is that when you have time to kill, just walk around London with no real destination in mind (or be like me and Becca and try to figure out the bus system and get lost instead), you end up finding really neat places that you never would have seen otherwise, and you begin to get more comfortable with the city and finding your way around. Besides, there is always an underground station nearby and as long as you know where you need to go you can find your way back!


Plaque from a really pretty little church I found while wandering around the city. It has been around since cica 1100 but restored in 1670 after the Great Fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment